Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Saving Gas Money

Here is a quick and simple tip from my wonderful second dad Bob.  We recently drove my van 12 hours from NH down to PA to visit my Grandmother.  The van was loaded down with three kids, two adults and lots of luggage so needless to say I was not getting very good mileage on my mini van.

We tracked our mileage on the way down and on the way back.  On the way back we got about .5 miles more per gallon.  The difference CRUISE CONTROL.  Who would have thought?  According to Bob the car uses less gas with cruise control much like it uses less gas on the highway compared to a stop and go street.  Even a slight fluctuation in acceleration makes the engine work harder and uses more gas.  A sure steady pace saves gas.  A half mile more per gallon may not seem like much but it adds up especially with the cost of fuel these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment