Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Great Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

  It you are like me you are always on the lookout for healthy, easy and inexpensive dinners.  This is one of my favorites.  It's called Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie and it is heavenly and if you make it according to the directions it is only 330 calories per serving and makes 6 servings.  I have been able to make this meal for as little as $6.50 before I started using organic chicken.  That is just a hair over $1 per person for a great dinner.

Recipe:
1 lb chicken breasts cubed
.25 cup reduced fat Italian dressing
4oz Neufachatel Cheese (like cream cheese only less fat.  Low fat cream cheese does not work well with this IMO)
2 Tbsp flour
.5 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 10 package of frozen veggies thawed
1 refrigerated pie crust

Preheat oven to 375.  Cook chicken in dressing over medium heat for 2 minutes in a large skillet.  Add cheese and cook until well blended.  Add flour, mix.  Add broth and veggies then simmer for 5min.

Poor mixture into a deep dish pie plate and arrange the crust over the filling.  Flute the edge and cut four slits to vent the steam.  cook for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.

I have modified the original recipe over time to my liking and to save a little on cost.  Instead of 1 lb of chicken I use .75 lbs and a cup of fresh mushrooms. I do not typically use the chicken broth but rather use water.  The broth does add to the taste I just often have run out of it.  I also use two crusts.  One on top one on the bottom so my pies comes out looking more like a true pie.

For more great recipe's using Italian dressing got to Kraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment